Bassist Stevie Benton talks about the bands social outreaching and reveals his favorite late night snack.

Заголовок сообщения: Bassist Stevie Benton talks about the bands social outreaching and reveals his favorite late night snack.
СообщениеДобавлено: 14 май 2014, 22:06 
Администратор

Bassist Stevie Benton talks about the bands social outreaching and reveals his favorite late night snack.

Nobody would dare fault Dallas bred band Drowning Pool for taking a much needed vacation any time soon. The band, which originally consisted of Dave Williams, C.J. Pierce, Stevie Benton, and Mike Luce, has virtually been working and carrying on non-stop since their inception way back in the late '90s.

Toss into the mix that the band suffered a terrible loss when lead singer and founding member Dave Williams passed away in August of 2002, and one could easily ruminate on why the band decided to keep trudging on.

But trudge on they did, going through one new singer (Jason "Gong" Jones") before bringing friend and ex-SOiL frontman Ryan McCombs into the fold to once and for all fill the void left by Williams. As if to solidify the new era of Drowning Pool, the band also signed on with new management and a new label and set about rebuilding themselves from the inside out.

These days, in addition to making music, DP have been tirelessly campaigning in favor of veterans rights. They have made trips overseas to perform for U.S. troops as part of the USO, and they have donated time and energy to various social causes. Regardless of whether or not you dig their music, you cannot say that they are lacking in passion and drive and the will to give back to their fans any way they can.

We recently caught up with bassist Stevie Benton and asked him a wide variety of questions, both about the band and their recent involvement with U.S. Troops in Iraq, as well as some more personal oriented fare.

Here is what he had to say.

IGN Music: What does it mean to be Drowning Pool in 2007 going into 2008?

Stevie Benton: We have survived the worst things that have ever happened to a band. It's great to still be around.

IGN Music: What prompted you guys to join the USO tour?

Stevie Benton: It was something we had wanted to do for a long time. Finally, the opportunity was there and we jumped on it. It's been a pleasure to be able to give a little something back to those guys and girls in the military that do so much for all of us at home.

IGN Music: What was it like touring through Iraq and Kuwait?

Stevie Benton: We are over there for a week or so and it's a blast. The enthusiasm of our troops makes the shows really special. The difficult part is realizing that the people you meet are stuck there for 15 months at a time. It is hard to imagine how difficult that must be for them and their families back home.

I'm a sinner, look at all these people in front of me
Look at all these people in front of me
Look at all these people in front of me, now

Вернуться наверх

Заголовок сообщения: Re: Bassist Stevie Benton talks about the bands social outreaching and reveals his favorite late night snack.
СообщениеДобавлено: 14 май 2014, 22:07 
Администратор

IGN Music: Do you know how/why your track "Bodies" became such a hit with soldiers overseas? I mean what do you think it is about that song that resonates with people, especially U.S. soldiers in the Middle East?

Stevie Benton: I don't know how it happened but we are thrilled it did. We've heard it from a large number of troops that they blasted that song while moving into dangerous areas to "psyche" themselves up and keep them on their toes. It's an honor to think that song might have played a part in bringing someone home safely.

IGN Music: What prompted you to become further involved with solider/veteran affairs ("This is for the soliders" campaign)?

Stevie Benton: After all the shows over there, after meeting so many devoted people, we wanted to see what we could do for them after their time in the service was over. That led us to the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) and through that organization we were made aware of the very serious issues facing our returning troops. Since then, we have been trying to do our part in assuring that troops receive the health care many of them desperately need.

IGN Music: Do you think it's the responsibility of artists and musicians to get involved in social and political affairs, you know since they musicians often have more visible profile and thus a bit more clout than that of the average citizen?

Stevie Benton: If an issue deeply affects you, I believe you should become involved no matter who you are. Artists that I see who are actively involved in issues, I respect. Those who just use their status to stand around and bitch are worthless.

IGN Music: Out of curiosity, and I'm sure you've been asked this many times, but why didn't you rename yourself when you reformed with Ryan on vocals? Was it meant as more of a tribute/legacy to Dave?

Stevie Benton: I don't think I could stand to be in a band that Dave wasn't a part of and he will always be a huge part of Drowning Pool.

IGN Music: Who is your favorite superhero or super villain and why?

Stevie Benton: Batman, because he was just a regular guy with issues. No crazy accident gave him super powers. It was the experiences of his life that made him who he was.

IGN Music: What is your favorite late night snack when you're in the studio or out on tour?

Stevie Benton: Peanut butter…it reminds me of being a little kid.

Вернуться наверх

Заголовок сообщения: Re: Bassist Stevie Benton talks about the bands social outreaching and reveals his favorite late night snack.
Администратор

IGN Music: Who or what are your non-musical influences and why?

Stevie Benton: I am a huge football fan so how the Dallas Cowboys play on Sundays greatly influences my mood for the rest of the week.

IGN Music: What is the motto you live by?

Stevie Benton: "It's better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

IGN Music: Which do you prefer, performing music live or creating it in the studio and why?

Stevie Benton: The answer to this is kind of like the "grass is always greener on the other side" saying. Out here on the road, I can't wait to get to the studio to put some new songs down. Once we are in the studio, I will be dying to go play the new stuff live.

IGN Music: Can you recall the first concert you ever went to?

Stevie Benton: TEXXAS JAM at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Tesla, Poison, Boston

IGN Music: Do you remember the first album you ever bought? Was it on CD, vinyl, cassette or 8-track? Why did you buy it?

Stevie Benton: I bought Ozzy's Bark at the Moon and Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil both on cassette. A friend at school recommended that evil music to me and I was hooked after that.

IGN Music: What is your favorite album and why?

Stevie Benton: That's always a tough question…there are so many great ones. I will go with Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power. All the guys were on top of their game on this one. Particularly Dime, who as a musician and a person meant so much to the Dallas music scene.

IGN Music: Name a musician that you've always wanted to work with but haven't yet and why.

Stevie Benton: Mine was always Nikki Sixx…but now I have worked with him so I can die happy.

IGN Music: If you could change one thing about the music industry, what would it be?

Stevie Benton: I wish that bands were able to drop labels as easily as a label can drop a band.

IGN Music: What has been your most important professional accomplishment to date?

Stevie Benton: ThisIsForTheSoldiers.org which is our online petition to support the Lane Evan's bill. A bill that will provide mental health care for returning troops.

Вернуться наверх

Администратор

IGN Music: What has been your most memorable or most f@#ked-up gig to date and why?

Stevie Benton: We played in Iraq on the 5 year anniversary of 9/11. The song "Bodies," which had been banned from the radio, had led us "full circle"

IGN Music: Do your dreams/nightmares influence your music?

Stevie Benton: Yeah, the nightmare of being broke and unemployed.

IGN Music: What do you like to do on your days off?

Stevie Benton: Go to the movies alone.

IGN Music: What do you do on the tour bus between shows to while away the time?

Stevie Benton: I read a lot. An interesting book can pass a lot of time for ya.

IGN Music: What do you miss most about home when you're on the road?

Stevie Benton: I miss not having to wear flip flops when I take a shower.

IGN Music: What do you like most about visiting other countries when on tour?

Stevie Benton: I always find it interesting to hear a perception of the world from someone who isn't American.

IGN Music: What would you say is your kindred spirit animal?

Stevie Benton: The Jackass…because he can just be a jackass and no one expects anything more from him.

IGN Music: What is your favorite book?

Stevie Benton: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

IGN Music: What is your favorite cocktail?

Stevie Benton: Vodka Martini…normally I'm just a beer kinda guy.

IGN Music: Name the last thing that moved you.

Stevie Benton: Lizzie Palmer's "Remember Me" video

IGN Music: Name the last thing that pissed you off.

Stevie Benton: The news.

IGN Music: Do you harbor any Pet Peeves?

Stevie Benton: Chewing with your mouth open.

IGN Music: Do you hold any superstitions?

Stevie Benton: Gotta wear my Cowboy's jersey on game day.

IGN Music: Who is the coolest person you have ever met?

Stevie Benton: Dimebag.

Вернуться наверх